Sunday, February 17, 2013

Mingpao Weekly Issue 2310: Kevin will not be filming TVB's drama this year

China Mainland drama Scarlet Heart shot Kevin Cheng to super-stardom. It brought his career to new heights, offers continue to stream in pushing his price per episode to new heights. Kevin who has been in the industry for 20 years, can finally stop worrying about his financials. "It is true that I am feeling less pressure financially these few years. My plan for the future is to reach a point where I work because of my interest and not because I have to put 3 meals on the table. If I don't like the script or for whatever reason do not wish to accept a job, then I have the choice not to." From his own words, one can tell that in all his 20 years, he has accepted many jobs which he wouldn't have if he had a choice.
It is rumoured that Kevin is paid RMB400,000 per episode which works out to be RMB12million for every 30 episodes! He replied "I will not deny the rumour but the figure is not exactly there." More than RMB400,000? Kevin smile without a firm reply. 

With his popularity on the rise, Kevin was recently invited by Valentino to attend their fashion show in Paris. "I also did magazine interviews. I was there for 4-5 days. It's a half work half leisure trip for me, very relaxing and finally the opportunity to taste authentic French cuisine. I also did some shopping, no, did not go on a spree but bought a couple of formal wear for functions. I did not buy any non-formal attire because I'm always at the film site, there's no chance to wear them. I'm a very thrifty person - I will only spend if I really have to. My luggage was not overweight!" 

In less than 24 hours after returning to Hong Kong from Europe, Kevin was rushed to China to appear at Dior's event. A day after he returned from China, he went to Korea with the rest of his TVB colleague to film TVB's first Chinese New Year's Eve Gala. A few days after returning to Hong Kong, he joined his new crew to start on his new TV series. He spent the first day of Chinese New Year working. "First day I had the morning off and started work only at noon. I am used to it. I have spent the last couple of Chinese New Year working too and I think it's a good sign." 

5th day of Chinese New Year also happens to be Valentine's Day, who will he be celebrating it with? Kevin says: "With the crew." His love life is still a piece of white paper but Kevin's not in a rush: "I am just opening up the Chinese market so I have to be very focus and invest my time here to understand the market's needs and to widen my social circle within the industry. I need to film and at the same time take care of the new production company plus to record albums. I really do not have the time and energy to date."
Kevin invested his own hard earn money into the production company to produce TV series then selling them to various TV stations. Apart from starring in his first production, he also played a part in the writing of the script. "There are a lot to learn. There are more than 10 scripts on hand at the moment. Preparation takes time so maybe shooting can only commence next year and not this winter as originally planned. My plan is not only to produce but also to distribute." He has high hopes for his production company. 

In order to pay attention to develop the Chinese market, Kevin has sold his car and rented out his house in Hong Kong 2 years ago. Instead he has moved to a service apartment. "I spend very little time in Hong Kong so without a car, I can save on road tax, insurance etc which are all unnecessary costs. And I have less headache living in a service apartment because there are people who will clean up your apartment every other day and a lot of small details you can just leave it to the management." Kevin says his lifestyle is still the same as it used to be 5 years ago, it has not increased due to his higher income, instead is less now. 

Kevin emphasized that he has not moved his roots to China, "I am still living in Hong Kong but I have moved my work arrangements to China that's all."

After completing his current job, he will return to Hong Kong to film a Shaw Brother's movie, back to China to shoot another TV series and finally end the year with promoting his album. "I have recorded 6 songs so far and hope to be able to finish the final 4 songs when I am back in Hong Kong to film the movie."
With his schedule so pack, guess he will not be shooting any TVB series this year then? "I doubt so. I will be shooting Wong's series next year though." There will be one less contender for the Best Actor Award this year then. His schedule is so pack till he is not able to participate in the sequel of Scarlet Heart, the one show that shot him to super-stardom. "But I have already told the company that if the timing is right, I am more than willing to cameo. This drama means a lot to me."

Looking back at 2012, Kevin admits "It is a very fruitful year. I have taken up a lot of projects of different nature and worked with a lot of people." Your pay between beginning of 2012 and the end of 2012, how many % has it risen? Kevin smiles and say "Just ahead of my bills."

The more popular one is, the more rumours there will be. Director Lee recently hit at Kevin criticising his poor command of Mandarin and that he is definitely overpriced - an actor with the price tag but without the market. To this, Kevin replied calmly: "Absurd. We are not even familiar with each other and have never worked together before. I have met him once to discuss about a TV series for about an hour or so. In the wholetime we were together, I did not utter a single word of Mandarin and he did not too. I don't know the level of his command of the language." He continued: "In the past, I would have taken this comment to heart. I will question myself why. Now, I have learned to let go so such comments/rumours have not much effect on me anymore."

Because of your work schedule, you don't even have time to spend what you earn so with all the money you earn, you will be able to buy two more properties then? This is not joking matter. Every project is worth more than RMB10million. 2 series will get him RMB20million and this is not including Shaw Brother's movie plus all the commercial appearances.

 Kevin laughs: "It's my mum who buys them. Not me." But it's your money. He reveals: "My mum will buy properties under the company's name to save on the stamp duties. I handover all my earnings to her and she will allocate them accordingly like paying for the rent, pay for my credit card bills etc. She handles all of those and I handover another portion to my sister in US to invest over there." It's not that Kevin does not know how to handle his finances but he says he really does not have the time to do that. He puts all his time and energy into his work, investing in himself. Will he handover the finances to his future wife? "My family is managing it very well now, there is no need to move around. If my future wife is financially smart, good and well but what if she's a spendthrift?" 

Because of spending long periods of time working in China, many male actors have been linked to Chinese actresses but Kevin says: "I am resistant toward strangers. You can't rush such things and I leave them to fate. I will not marry because of age or pressure." He is still friends with his ex-girlfriend Linda Wong. "When I was back in Hong Kong recently, we met up along with her husband for dinner. Her husband is a very nice person and they are very loving, I'm very happy for her to see her so blissful now." 

Kevin is now more open than before. He can talk about anything now unlike when he just joined the industry where he will just keep mum. It is a huge change. "I didn't like to talk then. I was very quiet. Alan Tam once said that this industry is not for me but that's me, no choice." 

Kevin has experienced many ups and downs. To achieve what he has achieved today is indeed a journey and he motivates himself by saying: "One will not stay down forever nor will they stay at the top forever too" So his motto is "While you still have it, do more."

1 comment:

  1. Well said, Kevin, and the best of everything to you. Again, a clear and well written translation. Thanks, Ann.

    ReplyDelete