Sunday, August 26, 2012

Article: Figaro Man Kevin Interview: Better Thank I Know Myself (Fully Translated)


Kevin Cheng: I'm no longer afraid when I will fall
During the photoshoot, we had a bird as prop. We let it loose after the shoot, it flew to a nearby tree chirping happily. Kevin's gaze followed the bird even as it flew away.

When we first met up with Kevin, he was in a photo shoot for this issue, he was extremely co-operative - when asked to climbed up to the roof, he climbed without uttering another word. But at the same time, it is obvious that the self confidence he had and the control he had of the situation - he is very clear which angle will turn out best and which pose will suit him best. He will use his own way to express his thoughts: if he accepts the other party, he will be extremely relaxed but if he is wary of the other party, he will be very business-like. 

The active Kevin is very attractive, his gestures are gentlemanly. When he sat in front of me, I found that he is even more good looking than when I was watching him shooting. The moment he speaks, I finally understood why during the photo shoot, everybody was just following his advice - there is something magical in his voice. He speaks slowly, as though he speaks while he thinks and expressing at the same time. Although you know he is speaking as such because of his poorer command in Mandarin, you will still can not help but be touched by this aura - how real this man is. His eyes and gaze is also very real - who can say no to such a "real" and good looking (the latter is more important) man? His hands are particularly attractive!

Kevin says the one thing he wishes for the most is to go on a holiday. "I have not gone on a holiday for 20 months" By right, the busier an artiste, the better because if you have a lot of time in your hands, something is wrong. But it is something else if like Kevin, you are applying for leave yourself. In this industry, if you have to apply for leave, you are definitely A list. If you are not A list artiste, how can you be sure that whenever you return from your holiday, you can once again be the focus. 

MF: How does it feel shooting pictures for the magazine?
Kevin: Actually I have never liked to have my pictures taken since young. But this is my job, just gotta do my best.

MF: As an artiste, how can you not like having your pictures taken?
Kevin: Work is one thing, private life is another. I am someone who needs my private space. I feel that even as an artiste, we should be allowed our own space as well which is actually a basic right. Usually, if my fans requests for pictures I will not say no, it is a mutual respect. But I feel extremely uncomfortable when they take pictures of me continuously with their mobile phones.

MF: What are your work plans for now?
Kevin: I hope to be able to rest for a period. Have not gone on a proper holiday for a long time. The best way to relax is not having to need to think about anything, read books, watch DVDs - total relaxation. I love the sun, lying under the sun - total relaxation. Even thinking of it is total happiness.


I don't want to stop getting excited filming, not enjoying the process. I am going into such a state now - beginning not to enjoy the process of filming, feeling very tired. My routine is the same everyday - read the script, filming, rush home to sleep, sleep on the plane. If I get to get off work an hour earlier, I get to sleep an hour more. No life at all, only work. I miss friends' weddings in Hong Kong. I only get to see my mom once in a couple of months just enough time to take her out for a meal before I jet off again. I love filming in Mainland China. At least I get enough sleep and have the time to really think how I want to play the character. TVB is really fast pace. A lot of times I wish to be able to put more into the character but time doesn't permit.



MF: How do you want your life to be?
Kevin: I hope for freedom. I am working so hard now because of freedom in the future. I am working for livelihood. I have not reached the stage where I am working because of interest. Until then, I will only accept roles which is of interest to me. I do not decide everything - it is very complicated. I do not have the final say.

MF: Is this an unattainable goal?
Kevin: Everybody's has their own standards. If I have only myself in my future plans, then it will be less complicated. But no, I can't. I need to consider about my future family, I want to have kids, I need to be able to support the livelihood of my family and kids so I will need to continue to work hard for a some time.

MF: Have you always had clear plans for your life?
Kevin: When I was younger, yes but I soon realize that it doesn't work that way. I never planned to become a singer or actor. In the early days, my ambition was to be a cop because I think that being a cop is prestigious and cool with a strong sense of justice. After that I wanted to become a fireman instead. Kid's thoughts change daily. The old saying - plans cannot catch up with changes. I didn't expect I will be what I am this year, last year. And this year, I cannot imagine what I will be next year.

"My life has gone through tremendous changes." This is well-said by Kevin. Because of one drama, Scarlett Heart, Kevin's life changed - he rose to stardom in Asia becoming the standard of a perfect man. All the falls, frustrations, setbacks, fights......became different the moment he became 8th Prince.

MF: Was Scarlett Heart the turning point for you?
Kevin: My life is at its peak now, but I know I will have to come down someday. This is Newton's law of gravity. Comparing to the past, my biggest change is that I no longer fear when I will fall. Enjoying the moment is more important to me now. Worrying will not change anything - it's a waste of time. 

MF: Did you ever think of giving up?
Kevin: Someone once told me, when you think of giving up, think about why you have held on for so long. So true - there is definitely a reason why you have held on for so long. Firstly you gotta know and understand yourself - look at it subjectively and objectively. Decide if holding on is still an option, is there still an opportunity/chance to succeed. If you give up, there is definitely no way to succeeding. If you hit rock bottom, you gotta remember that the only way is up. If you have never experience failure, you will never appreciate success.

MF: How do you judge yourself?
Kevin: Stubborn, uncompromising. Exactly because I'm such a person, that's why I am able to sit here with you today. My journey has been very difficult but because of my stubbornness, I am able to be where I am today.

MF: You have done it but there may be others who never will.
Kevin: The thing actors do best is wait. Waiting for the lighting to be set up, waiting to be made-up, waiting for the camera to be in position....etc Be ready because you want to be ready when chance happens to be there. Chance doesn't wait for anybody so only those who are ready will ride the wave. 

MF: Apart from acting, you have two plans - releasing an album and starting your own studio. 
Kevin: I have just finished filming. I am currently recording my new album. My first...oh no, not my first album. I haven't released any albums for sometime. I hope to sing songs with connotations, not just "I love you, you love me". But then again, as long as I get to sing, I'm happy because this is something closer to me than acting. I know myself, so let's just keep the fast songs to the minimal.

MF: What about the studio?
Kevin: Maybe next year. I don't want to do it without being well prepared. Firstly, I need to have a good script in hand before I will start preparations. The role which I would love to play the most now is Zhang Xue Liang, but this is definitely not going to be the first project from my studio because it is very expensive to shoot such drama. I don't have that much money hahaha....

MF: Before the interview, we initiated a poll on Weibo microblogging site. Fans wants to see you release a compilation of photos and have your own concert.
Kevin: Concerts - I will need to release an album and see the reaction first. I don't people to attend the concert because of me. I want them to attend the concert for the songs. Personal photo album......nah.....is it those that require me to take off my shirt? Every TV drama requires me to remove my shirt! (MF: Because you can!.....) Everytime I see a script, I realise there will be scenes which requires me to remove a piece of clothing.....Ghetto Justice 2, I had to walk on the streets in just my boxers. Crowd on the streets actually started going crazy taking pictures of me in boxers with their mobile phones. Everybody was like "Hey it's Kevin Cheng! Only in boxers!"




MF: Were they as happy and excited as if it's the New Year?
Kevin: Hahaha I don't know about others but I felt awkward. I just wanted to get it over and done with.

MF: A lot of people think that you are exceptionally good looking.....

Kevin: I think so too! Hahaha....nah just joking. Some people love green tea, some love coffee. I happy to be some people's cup of tea that's all.
 
We have mentioned just now that we have actually announced about this interview on Weibo and have asked Kevin's fans to send in their questions. Unexpectedly, the request we received the most is to ask us to refrain asking Kevin about his rumors. Good quality idol produces good quality fans (sorry directly translated - I really have no idea how I should translate this sentence: 真是高素质的偶像就有高素质的粉丝)


And so we have not planned to ask anything related to his rumors. But Kevin as understanding as he is, he initiated a lot of topics surrounding love and marriage. 

MF: You mentioned just now that you want a family and children?
Kevin: Yes, why do you think I'm working so hard now? It's because so that I don't have to work so hard in the future so that I can spend time with my kids.

MF: Your fans told us specifically not to ask you about your rumors......
Kevin: It's like this, once my relationship is at the stage where it is stable enough to make public, I will. To get married or not is not my decision alone. Dating requires time which is something I do not have right now. I do not believe in love at first sight. Getting to know each other, going to the movies, going out for meals - all of these requires time. Before the relationship is stable, I will not go public because it will not be fair to either party. Will definitely go public once the relationship has stabilize. And when I do, that woman will very likely also be my future wife. At this point of my life, I am looking for a wife when I look for a girlfriend now.

MF: What then do you look for in a wife?
Kevin: The standard that I use to determine if the other party is suitable to become my life long partner is by her view on family values. My wife has to have the ability to become a good mother to my children. Before the kid turns 1, it will be best if my wife doesn't work. It will be best if I don't have to work as well. Whether she can cook or not is not an issue for me but she must want to have a family and children. If not, then don't waste each other's time.

MF: You have mentioned kids & children many times in a short period of time....
Kevin: I love kids. Sometimes when my mind starts to wander, I will start thinking of things like how I want to watch my daughter grow up, bring her for swimming classes, at 13 when boys start to want to date her, I will beat them up......that sort of stuff. (MF: No wonder you don't have time to sleep.....) A family is complete only when kids are part of the equation. I love to have sons too but for daughters, after 13, I will start to get worried. But at least I have 13 years of joy.

MF: The relationship between father and daughter is really.....not something an outsider can understand.
Kevin: I hope to be able to give her the best. Give her what she wants, plan for her. I will buy her funds so that she will have something to fall back on in case I'm no longer around in this world.....I think of such things. When I have the time I will start thinking......(starts to blabber for a long tim "what a wonderful feeling it would be to see her grow up", "the thought of having a daughter is pure happiness" etc etc saving about 200 words in this article)

MF: Sounds like you are someone with a strong sense of responsibility......
Kevin: Family is a man's responsibility. It is also life's next stage. I have prepared myself for this next step yet but I long for the day when I'm finally ready to move on to this stage.

MF: Whoever marries you should be so lucky!
Kevin: I certainly hope so. I will do my best and play my part but I'm worried that my wife will get jealous - jealous of my daughter.

MF: Hey, you are thinking too far and too much. First you need to get a wife then have a daughter.
Kevin: Hehehe.....you are right. We'll see what happens when I find one.

4 comments:

  1. This is the best appraisal and interview I've come across re Kevin Cheng. I like his candid way of answering questions and he certainly does not beat around the bush as he is quite direct when he speaks. I wonder if he spoke in English and if he did then his English is indeed very good. Thank you for your fine work in producing this interview.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He speaks perfect American English. In fact I personally think that he's more at ease conversing in English. When we met, he refused to converse in Cantonese. He told us to watch his shows if we want to listen to him in Cantonese. :)

      Delete